Maple worksheets on applications of differentiation
Basic calculus topics:
The following Maple worksheets can be downloaded.
They are all compatible with Classic Worksheet Maple 10.
Use of the first and second derivative in curve-sketching - sketch.mws
- The sign of the derivative in connection with curve-sketching.
- The second derivative and curve-sketching.
- Classification of turning points.
Maximum and minimum problems involving area and volume - maxmin1.mws
- Advice for solving max/min problems
- Example 1 - rectangular enclosure fenced on 3 sides
- Example 2 - rectangle under semi-circle
- Example 3 - printed page with margins
- A procedure for drawing a box
- Example 4 - maximizing the volume of an open box
- Example 5 - most economical open box
Miscellaneous max/min problems - maxmin2.mws
- Example 1 - a window with a circular arch
- Example 2 - bending lengths of wire into a square and a circle
- Example 3 - most economical cylindrical can
- Example 4 - shortest travelling time
- Example 5 - pulse rate
Problems involving minimising distance - maxmin3.mws
- A procedure for computing the distance between two points
- The minimum distance from a point to a curve
- Fermat's principle
More max/min problems - maxmin4.mws
- Minimising the curved surface area of a conical tent
- Maximising the volume of a cylinder inscribed in a sphere
Related rates problems - relrates.mws
- Example 1 - an expanding oil slick
- Example 2 - a sawdust pile
- Example 3 - pulling a boat
Top of page